25 Space Facts That Will Both Terrify And Amaze You

Posted by , Updated on October 25, 2016

Space, the final frontier. There is still very little that we actually understand about the vast universe that we live in. (Check out our list on 25 Puzzling Mysteries From Outer Space That Will Leave You Baffled if you’re curious to see some of what scientists are still trying to figure out.) However, what we do know is that space is very clearly trying its best to kill us all. From deadly radiation to exploding super-stars, the galaxy is dangerous enough to make even the bravest (or craziest) astronauts think twice before deciding to exit our nice, protective atmosphere. Still, the human race is determined to go out and explore the cosmos, so just to make sure we know exactly what we’re getting into, here are 25 Space Facts That Will Both Terrify And Amaze You.

Subscribe to List25
15

The Darkness

25 Things That Should Terrify Us About SpaceSource: http://www.medicaldaily.com/ Image: https://pixabay.com/en/moon-dark-space-distant-black-600789/

Being scared of the dark isn’t just a silly thing that children experience; it’s an evolutionary trait humans developed to protect themselves from dangers lurking in the unknown. The only reason adults nowadays do not fear what they can’t see is because they have learned through experience that the likelihood of monsters hiding under the bed is very low. In space, however, darkness represents a completely unexplored emptiness that continues for an infinity, so being afraid of the dangers that lurk beyond our sight is a completely understandable reaction.

14

Magnetars

25 Things That Should Terrify Us About SpaceSource: http://www.space.com/ Image: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_Hibernating_Stellar_Magnet_(artist%27s_impression).jpg

Magnetars are incredibly dense neutron stars. In fact, they are basically an entire star crushed into a sphere only 15 miles across. One teaspoon worth of a magnetar contains the same mass as 900 Great Pyramids of Giza. They are also the hosts of the strongest magnetic fields in the known universe, fields so strong that anything that gets too close is ripped apart at the atomic level.

13

Musculoskeletal Atrophy

25 Things That Should Terrify Us About SpaceSource: http://www.nasa.gov/ Image: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_atrophy

Maintaining a healthy level of exercise is hard enough here on earth, but in the zero gravity conditions of space it can be even harder. Astronauts visiting the International Space Station have exhibited signs of significant muscle atrophy after only six weeks in space, and that’s with a rigorous health and fitness program.

12

Venus

25 Things That Should Terrify Us About SpaceSource: http://www.universetoday.com/ Image: https://pixabay.com/en/venus-space-universe-solar-system-1351056/

Despite getting its name from the Roman goddess of love, Venus is perhaps the most hellish planet in our solar system. With surface temperatures of nearly 500 degrees Celsius, atmospheric pressure 90 times that of Earth, and constant sulfuric acid rain, simply landing on Venus would kill you in moments. This definitely isn’t a planet you’d want to have a picnic on.

 

Looking to learn more about the bizarre aspects of space? Take a look at 25 Bizarre Things You Can Only Find In Outer Space.

11

Dark Matter/Dark Energy

25 Things That Should Terrify Us About SpaceSource: https://science.nasa.gov Image: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DMPie_2013.svg

We know very little about our universe. In fact, we have only seen less than 5% of the stuff that it is made of. The other 95% is dark matter and dark energy. About one quarter of the universe is made up of dark matter, mass that we can’t see or find in space, but must be there due to its effects on the behavior of its surroundings. The rest of the universe is dark energy, the true nature of which is mostly unknown. However, we are pretty sure that is plays a crucial role in the expansion of the universe.

SEE ALSO: 25 Mind Blowing Psychology Experiments...You Won't Believe What's Inside Your Head »

NOW WATCH: 25 Psychology Hacks to Control (Almost) Any Situation

Subscribe to List25

Show Us Your Love
Join Over 2 Million+ List25 Fans