There is a lot at stake in the battle of man versus stains. You could win the war with traditional chemical cleaners that neutralize the stains and odors in a jiffy. However, you would have lost the fight; chemical cleaners have dire consequences on health and the environment.
If you have children and pets around the home, your best weapon against stains should be enzymatic cleaners.
- 1 Why the Enzymatic Frenzy?
- 2 Reasons to try Enzymatic Cleaners:
- 3 What to Consider When Buying an Enzymatic Cleaner
- 4 The Best Enzymatic Cleaners in the Market
- 4.1 1. Simple Solution Extreme Pet Stain and Odor Remover, 945 ml
- 4.2 2. Rocco & Roxie Strength Enzymatic Cleaner
- 4.3 3. Nok-Out Odor Eliminator and Sanitizer, gallon jug by NOK OUT
- 4.4 4. Pet Stain & Odor Miracle Enzymatic Cleaner
- 4.5 5. BUBBAS Super Strength Commercial Enzymatic Cleaner
- 5 The Best Pick
Why the Enzymatic Frenzy?
Enzymatic cleaners leverage the power of good bacteria to expunge the most stubborn stains and odors. That happens with zero toxic contamination in your home. Also, the detergents are gentle on the fabrics.
I love cats, but if there is anyone that has an obsessive-compulsive-disorder-like repulsion to pet pee and poop stain, that’s me. The smell of pet messes triggers an inexplicable kind of anxiety and anger in me. For quite a while, that’s how I was forced to live.
No cleaner in the market was effective enough in cleaning my pet pee-stained couches. Some ended up bleaching my fabrics, but all that changed when I tried enzymatic cleaners.
In my history of home cleaning solutions, no detergent has attained the same level of results as enzymatic cleaners.
Reasons to try Enzymatic Cleaners:
Non-toxic: One defining feature for enzymatic cleaners is that they don’t have a chemical formulation whatsoever. Their bacterial makeup is non-toxic as well. They are biodegradable and harmless.
Eco-friendly: The non-toxic ingredients of these cleaners make them safe for the environment. Using enzymatic cleaners is the least you can do in the fight for a greener planet.
Deep cleaning: Enzymatic cleaners work slowly, that is something you will have to accept. But, I think you will appreciate their results; these cleaners offer an in-depth cleaning action, sipping further into the tiniest crevices.
Long-lasting: The cleaning action doesn’t stop even after you rinse and take your gloves off. The enzymes stay behind, working for the next 24 hours to remove all dirt and odor.
Enzymatic cleaners can be used in:
Bathrooms and kitchens: It’s time to put down the bleach and the pungent odors it leaves behind. An enzymatic cleaner can break down the stains on your kitchen sink, toilets, tubs and bathroom floors just as powerfully as chemical cleaners.
Cleaning carpets and floors: Enzymatic cleaners are effective against pet stains on rugs and carpets. The enzymes in these cleaners quickly break down the protein composition of the stains, eventually stripping them out entirely along with their odors.
Laundry and fabrics: Enzymatic cleaners can also help in cleaning clothes and other upholstery. You only have to pre-soak them overnight for an effective de-staining/de-greasing.
Important to remember: Your enzymatic cleaner can perform better when used with lukewarm water.
What to Consider When Buying an Enzymatic Cleaner
Type of enzyme
When shopping, it would be wise to choose a detergent that has the right enzymes for the types of stains you are warring against. You could also opt for a cleaner that has multiple enzymes for use on a variety of stains.
- Amylase: It breaks down sugar, starches, sauces, and eggs. It could, therefore, help you get rid of wine stains and juice stains.
- Lipase: It works on fat, and can help in removing oily stains or de-greasing laundry and fabric.
- Protease: This enzyme can help to remove protein-based stains like urine and blood.
Method of delivery
Spray bottles: This packaging type is easier for spot cleaning. You get to spray the cleaner directly on the stained area. The spray bottles often range from 24 to 32 ounces.
Pour bottles: It might be harder to control the pouring action with this type of enzymatic cleaner packaging. You may not be able to perform proper spot cleaning with this. But the advantage is that pour bottles often come in gallon-sizes.
They are thus suitable for when you want to buy the detergents in bulk for regular cleaning.
There are domestic, commercial and industrial level concentrations when it comes to enzymatic cleaners. Too high concentrations might bleach your fabrics or corrode your skin.
On the flip side, if the formulation is too weak, you will need to use lots of the solution for effective stain removal.
I would recommend a scented formula. It will save you the trouble of having to acquire a tropical air freshener.
The Best Enzymatic Cleaners in the Market
This formula supposedly contains both Pro-Bacteria and enzymes. That, therefore, makes it a likely powerful ally in the extermination of tough stains and pet urine odors. Because of pro-bacteria, its cleaning action could be faster than most enzymatic cleaners in the market.
Extreme Pet Stain and Odor Remover is recommendable for busy people who don’t have plenty of time to spend on cleaning floors and upholstery. However, note that its powerful concentration might not be gentle on your skin.
According to the manufacturers, the enzymatic cleaner is three times stronger than other detergents owing to its pro-bacteria formulation. It is safe for use on carpets, laundry, beddings, and upholstery.
Being an enzymatic cleaner, you can expect that it is pet and child-friendly.
I like the fact that it comes in a spray bottle with a trigger design that could be helpful in spot cleaning. You will be able to direct the cleaner exactly where you want it to go without creating a mess.
The pre-soaking needed for effective action here is ten minutes, according to the manufacturers. This enzymatic cleaner can also act as a deodorizer.
Simple Solution Extreme Pet Stain and Odor Remover, 945 ml Pros & Cons
- The pro-bacteria formulation makes it extra-powerful
- Can be used on a variety of fabrics and surfaces
- Spray bottle for flawless delivery
- Its high enzymatic concentration can cause skin irritation
- It might leave a dull spot on your carpet
- ELIMINATES STAINS, ODORS AND RESIDUE If it’s gross, it’s gone. Not just the stain, but the stink. From stinky yellow pet urine and feces to vomit and other organic spills, our professional...
- ENZYME ACTIVATED The key is getting to the problem deep-down. This spray contains natural enzymatic bacteria that are activated on contact with odors and stains, feeding on ammonia crystals and...
- CERTIFIED GENTLE AND SAFE Chlorine free and color safe. Safe to use around pets and children. No hazardous propellants, no residue left behind. So gentle it’s been Certified Safe for all carpets,...
Rocco & Roxie is another renowned enzymatic cleaner brand in the market. Rocco & Roxie Strength Enzymatic Cleaner is said to be a versatile detergent that can be used anywhere from carpets to clothes and countertops.
Going by the product details, this cleaner happens to use protease enzymes. Upon contact with your fabrics, the enzymes break down the amino acid peptide bonds in urine and food stains. Because it’s not a multi-enzyme cleaner, its effectiveness might be limited to protein stains.
Unlike Simple Solutions Extreme Pet Stain and Odor Remover, Rocco & Roxie uses no probiotic formulations. Its cleaning action might not be commercial strength, but that also means that it is much gentler on your skin and fabrics. It is also said to be color-safe.
One other remarkable quality with this cleaner is that it leaves no residue behind. You could, therefore, give your carpets a quick touch up without worrying about rinsing. The manufactures have also assured us that it is effective in deep down cleaning.
Just like many other enzymatic cleaners, this one is also pet and child-friendly.
The detergent comes in a spray bottle that is equally as convenient as the case with the Simple Solution Extreme Pet Stain and Odor Remover. It also takes about 10 minutes of pre-soaking for effective cleaning.
Rocco & Roxie Strength Enzymatic Cleaner Pros & Cons
- Can be used in a wide range of surfaces including carpets, concrete tiles and hardwood floors
- It has a pleasant scent
- It is color-safe
- Comes in an easy to apply spray bottle
- Its strong smell might cause respiratory irritation
Unlike the enzymatic cleaners reviewed earlier, this one comes in a large one gallon (3.8 liters) container. That could be advantageous when you need enough formula for cleaning large areas, or for regular use.
The manufacturers have marketed it as a potent deep-action cleaner. It is said to seep deep into the bottom of stains, breaking them down and eliminating odors.
Its application varies from fabrics to floors and clothing. The company behind it, Amazing Concepts LLC has been in the business since 1995. Nok-Out was its first formula, and it has since undergone many improvements.
The cleaner is certified as Broad Spectrum Disinfectant by EPA. So, if you are looking to remove stains and disinfect your home for the safety of kids and pets, Nok-Out could be your best option.
The Nok-Out disinfectant formula is hospital grade. You may, therefore, be able to use this solution on a full commercial scale to remove bacteria, molds, and viruses. It is, thus, more versatile than all the enzymatic cleaners in this review.
The Nok-Out enzymatic cleaner is highly concentrated. You might need to dilute it with water first before applying on stained fabrics. Apart from stain removal and disinfection, the soap might also work as a deodorizer against stinky smells.
Word of caution: the highly concentrated formula in the Nok-Out enzymatic cleaner might bleach the color out of your fabrics. You will need to do a spot testing first before using it on the entire carpet.
Nok-Out Odor Eliminator and Sanitizer, gallon jug by NOK OUT Pros & Cons
- Its large container is convenient and cost effective
- It’s applicable on a wide range of fabrics and surfaces
- It is also a hospital-grade disinfectant that is effective against germs and bacteria
- It is highly concentrated, may not be safe on the skin
- Not gentle on fabrics -can blot out the color
- ❤️ EASY CLEANUP - Pet Stain & Odor Miracle makes clean up fast and easy, so you can quickly return to having fun with your fur-baby. Only an enzyme-based cleaning solution can completely remove...
- 😊 INCREDIBLE VALUE - Pet Stain & Odor Miracle makes it very easy for you to clean every surface in your home - carpet, rug, hardwood, laminate, tile, concrete floor, furniture, mattress, leather,...
- ⭐ HIGHEST QUALITY - All of Sunny & Honey’s products are made with the highest quality ingredients available, right here - in the beautiful USA. As a hardworking family-run small business, we...
The next enzymatic cleaner to step into the ring is Pet Stain & Odor Miracle Enzymatic Cleaner. This natural product by Sunny & Honey is supposedly tough on all kinds of stains. The manufacturers say that it also works effectively on leather, hardwood, beddings, and upholstery.
Miracle Enzymatic cleaner is safe for use in a home with kids and pets like the other previously reviewed items.
Its bestselling point, one can say, is its ability to neutralize bad odor. If you have pet urine that is soaked deep into carpets causing your house to reek, this detergent might be your best option
Pet Stain & Odor Miracle Enzymatic Cleaner comes in a spray bottle that you might find convenient for quick spot cleaning. You can directly spray the solution on the affected areas without wetting a large area of your couch or carpet.
One caveat you might have to deal with here is its low concentration. Even though that makes it safe on your skin and fabrics, it will take several treatments for effective stain removal.
Pet Stain & Odor Miracle Enzymatic Cleaner Pros & Cons
- It is effective against cat urine and other pet messes
- It is applicable on a variety of surfaces
- Gentle on fabric and skin
- Convenient spray bottle
- Overly strong perfume
- Weak formulation
- BEST PROFESSIONAL GRADE CLEANING SOLUTION: Scientifically formulated to be more potent than other pet odor enzyme cleaners for your flooring, upholstery, area rugs and carpets, yet safe to use around...
- PET STAIN AND ODOR MIRACLE: Bubba's uses natural dormant bacteria that become active upon hitting that strong smelling cat pee, billions of enzymes destroy stains down to the carpet pad. Competitors...
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Other pet odor enzyme sprays use active bacteria that are ineffective soon after you buy them. Bubba's dormant bacteria formula is the best premium deep cleaning stain and pet...
The manufacturer asserts that this cleaner is scientifically formulated to be stronger than most enzymatic cleaners in the market. Like the other reviewed solutions, this one can similarly work well on floorings, clothing, carpets and upholstery.
The solution is said to have dormant bacteria that become active upon contact with organic matter. That, in essence, is an assurance that the proactive bacteria stay alive for long in the bottle. The potency of this solution can thus persist for months.
The enzyme in the BUBBAS commercial enzymatic cleaner is effective against pet messes and food stains. You might also find it gentle enough for use on laundry, unlike Nok-Out Odor Eliminator and Sanitizer.
The cleaner leaves no residue behind. The directions state that you should spray the solution on the stain, let it sit in for ten minutes before wiping with a cloth. You can, however, skip the last part, as you will likely come back to find all the stain gone.
BUBBAS Super Strength Commercial Enzymatic Cleaner Pros & Cons
- Gentle on the skin and can be used on laundry
- It uses dormant enzymatic bacteria that stay alive for long
- Not potent enough for tough stains
- Might be too fragrant for your liking
The Best Pick
Nok-Out Odor Eliminator and Sanitizer stands out as the top choice in this review roundup. It comes in a sizeable one-gallon bottle that might be advantageous for your daily stain removal needs.
This potent enzymatic cleaner is also a hospital-grade disinfectant. It can be used to effectively sanitize your home environment for the health and safety of your kids and pets. It can be used against bacteria, mold and viruses.
The enzymatic cleaner has a deep cleaning action and also eliminates odors in the process. One remarkable quality is its high concentration. That makes it ideal for use on a commercial scale. You can also expect super-fast cleaning action because of that.