Petco began as a company dedicated to nurturing the powerful relationship between people and their pets. In business since 1965, Petco has grown to more than 25,000 partners and 1500 stores. The company is owned by Private equity firm CVC Capital Partners and the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in November 2015 for $4.6 billion.
Brad Weston was just named the new CEO, taking over for the retiring Jim Myers, who had been CEO since 1990. All signs point to a fresh new organization based on the pet lover’s code of ethics.
For more on the Petco Code of Ethics, follow this link.
UPCO was founded in 1965 as a mail-order veterinary service in San Diego, changing its name to Petco in 1979. By 1988, Petco acquired two Pet supply chains, WellPoint and The Pet Department, which tripled the number of Petco stores from 40 to 130, expanding the store’s reach to Oregon, Washington, and Texas. Live fish were introduced in the Santa Monica, California store, and other live animals quickly followed.
Petco employs more than 25,000 partners and operates 1,500+ locations in the U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico. Petco has a smaller format neighborhood shop called Unleashed by Petco in 85 locations; prescription services and pet supplies from the leading veterinary-operated pet supplier, Drs. Foster & Smith; digitally-delivered pet health advice through PetCoach and petco.com. Ranked #108 in Forbes Magazine’s America’s Largest Private Companies with revenues of more than 4 billion and still going strong.
Everything they do is guided by their motto: Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World.
Petco recently released a Press Release stating a “fast-paced growth plan.” In 2016, the pet-friendly store opened 72 new locations, remodeled 41 stores and super-sized 5 stores.
GETTING THE JOB
Types of Jobs
Petco breaks down their job site into three categories: Corporate, Distribution and Stores. Here are some of the jobs available from those categories:
Accounting – Accountant, Accounts Payable Clerk, Analyst, Payroll Analyst, Strategic Pricing Analyst, Senior Analyst Maintenance & Construction,
Administrative – Administrative Assistant, Subscriptions Operations Specialist,
Beauty & Wellness – Hair Stylist, Salon Manager, Stylist Assistant, Pet Stylist, Grooming Salon Apprentice
Cleaning & Sanitation – Janitor
Community & Social Service – Training Instructor
Human Resources – Manager, Specialist, Talent Advisor, Administrative Assistant, Employee Relations, Learning & Development Talent Acquisition, Benefits, HR Generalist plus more.
Logistic – Supply Chain Specialist
Management – Grooming Salon Leader, Companion Animal Leader, Aquatics Manager, Assistant Manager, Event Planning Manager, General Manager, District Manager and more
Marketing – Director of Marketing, eCommerce, Digital, Director of Merchandising & Strategy, eCommerce Manager, Marketing Intern, Copywriter, Proof QC Specialist, Research, and more.
Real Estate – Property Manager, Construction Manager,
Retail – Guest Adviser, Guest Experience Specialist, Aquatics Specialist, Merchandise Ops Specialist, Cashier, Sales Clerk, Stocker, Inventory Assistant, Customer Service and more
Security & Public Service – Insurance, Loss Prevention Manager, Entry Level Insurance Agent
Social Media – Digital Content Manager,
Software Development – Database Analyst, Software Architect, Senior Architect, Senior Domain Architect, Senior Virtualization Engineer, Data Scientist, Space Management Planner, etc.
Veterinary – Animal Caretaker, Dog Bather, Dog Trainer, Pet Sitter, Nutrition Assistant, Care Specialist, Pharmacist
Warehouse – Loading & Stacking, Picker, Packer, Receiver, Stocker, Forklift Operator, Warehouse Worker, Senior Warehouse Worker
Petco minimum salary varies from state to state but begins at approximately $8.59 an hour for a Grooming Assistant. The salary ranges can vary from $15, 000 for a Pet Groomer to 100,000+ for Software Developer
The minimum age to begin working at Petco is 18, except in Alaska where you can start at age 16.
Hours of Operation
The average hours range from 9am to 9pm, but you can check for locations near you: https://www.hourscenter.com/petco/
Application Process – What to Expect
You can apply at Petco online or at the store. Be sure to look at the positions available near you. Petco has a faqs page that answers many questions about the application process: https://careers.petco.com/faqs/
Tips For the Interview
You’ve been called in for an interview! What next? Do your research on the company. There is tons of information on the Petco site and the internet. When preparing for the interview, here are some things to keep in mind:
· Arrive on time and be prepared. You want to make a good first impression. Dress appropriately. No shorts, t-shirts or flip flops.
· Make a mental checklist before walking in. Do you have everything you need? Go over your research. Double check your resumes. Did you bring extras? Give yourself a pep talk and remind yourself that you have what it takes.
· Anticipate questions they might ask and how you would answer. They often ask, “Why Petco?” – be honest about why Petco may resonate with you. Be sure to have an answer and know your strengths. Other common questions include: “Do you love animals?”, “Have you worked with animals before?”, “Do you have any retail experience?”, and “How would you deal with an unhappy customer?”.
· The culture at Petco is fun and caring so don’t stress about the interview. Introduce yourself to everyone in the room – make eye contact with each person. Bring copies of your resume and something to take notes with – and take notes. Take a deep breath and smile.
· Remember to ask questions! First, feel free to ask if they’ll be the ones conducting the interview. You can ask them what the job is like on any typical day, benefits, the team dynamic, suggestions about how to get ahead and what the best path would be. Always good info.
· Dig into the job you are applying for. Look up similar roles at other companies. Don’t be afraid to check out Linkedin and other social media like Facebook and Twitter. Check out the articles and posts that apply to Petco or people who have worked there. Check out the Petco Press Releases to get the latest information on the company and how it might apply to you.
Tips From An Expert:
WHY YOU WANT THE JOB
20% off, higher on certain brands
Vacation & Paid time off
401 k Plan
Employees, past and present, report that it is a great place to work, especially if you love animals. From store-to-store, the highest position available is General Manager or District Manager, but if you love the company and have higher aspirations, there are many corporate level jobs to strive for that continue to promote the Petco philosophy on a higher level.
The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. Since its creation, more than $185 million has been invested as they work with and support thousands of local animal groups across the country. Through in-store adoption events, they help find homes every year for more than 400,000 animals, with the total to date being 5.3 million.