Forever 21 debuted as Fashion 21 in Los Angeles, California, on April 21, 1984, founded by husband and wife team, Do Won Chang and Jin Sook Chang. The first store was located at 5637 N. Figueroa Street in Highland Park and is still in operation bearing the original name.
It began as a 900 square foot store with a design similar to those seen in South Korea, and has grown into more than 600 stores, 30,000 employees, and reported 4.4 billion in sales. They have expanded their clothing lines to XXL Forever, Love 21 and Heritage and now sell clothing not only for women but men and girls as well.
Forever 21 ranked #96 on Forbes Magazine’s America’s Largest Private Companies. They are looking to expand another 600 stores in the next three years and accomplish what took 30 years to complete initially.
GETTING THE JOB
Types of Jobs
Forever 21 breaks down their job search to keywords, location and job category. Here are some of the jobs available from those categories:
Accounting – Senior International Account, Staff Accountant
Administrative & Clerical – Corporate Receptionist, Office Coordinator
Buying & Merchandising – Senior Merchandiser, Production Coordinator, Product Developer, Associate Designer, Assistant Buyer, Assistant Buyer Developer, Photographer, Sample Coordinator, Stylist Coordinator, Stylist Assistant, Sr. Associate Production Control, Fabric Sourcing Specialist, Sourcing & Production Supervisor, and much more (many HQ based in LA).
Construction & Facilities – Facilities Services Coordinator, Maintenance Associate
Customer Service – Sr. Customer Service Representative, Lead Customer Service Rep., Bilingual Customer Service Rep., Call Service Workforce Management
Design – Technical & Graphic Design – Designer, Sr. Designer, Associate Designer, Sr. Drafter, Sr. Technical Designer
Distribution Centers – DC Administrative Associate, DC Associate, DC Logistics Associate
E-Commerce – Merchandising & Marketing – Photographer, Styling Assistant Manager, e-commerce International Merchandiser, Web Merchandise Manager, e-commerce Associate Manager, e-commerce Merchandiser
Finance – Loss Prevention Sr. Manager, Jr. Staff Accountant
Human Resources, Recruiting, Training & HRIS – Recruiter, Regional HR Manager, HR Manager
Information Technology – IT Support Technician
Legal & Risk Management – Marketing Legal Assistant, Intellectual Property Legal Assistant, Senior Compliance Legal Assistant
Loss Prevention – Loss Prevention Manager, Loss Prevention/Fraud Analyst
Maintenance & Supply – Faculty Services Coordinator, Maintenance Associate, Maintenance Technician
Marketing, PR & Social Media – Sr. Coordinator – Credit Card & Loyalty, Global Cosmetic Marketing Manager, Global New Stores Opening Coordinator, Retail Marketing Coordinator, Public Relations Supervisor
Merchandise Planning & Allocations – Cosmetic Inventory & Replenishment Analyst,
Production – Production Associate Coordinator, Production Assistant Coordinator, Production Branded Cosmetic Coordinator
Quality Assurance – District Manager, QC Senior Associate
Retail – Field Operations – Lead of Service, Visual Manager, Assistant Manager, Co-Manager, Store Manager
Sales & Business Development – Visual Merchandiser, Lead of Service, Visual Manager, Assistant Manager, Co-Manager, Store Manager, Assistant Manager, Stylist, ASM Merchandising
Strategy – Call Center Workforce Management Lead
Transportation & Logistics – Global Logistics Coordinator
Forever 21 hourly pay begins from approximately $8.51 per hour (depending on location and minimum wage for that area) for Seasonal Associate to $43.18 per hour for Production Manager and other district jobs. The average Forever 21 corporate and warehouse salary ranges from approximately $18,000 per year for Stocker to $94,000 per year for IT Project Manager.
In most cases, the minimum age requirement to work at the popular clothing and accessory store stands at 16 years, but Forever 21 prefers to hire workers at the age of 18, with high school diplomas or even higher levels of education.
Hours of Operation
It differs from location-to-location but the average hours range from 10am to 9pm or 9am to 9pm.
Forever 21 has managed to stay a privately owned company in the fast fashion retail business since it’s debut in April of 1984 and is the fifth largest specialty retailer in the United States. With 30,000 employees in the U.S. and Canada, and all over the world, owners Don Won and Jin Sook Chang continue to grow, nurture and make more efficient the company that they birthed in Highland Park, California, so long ago, keeping the values they hold dear intact.
Forever 21 wants to become an $8 billion company by the end of 2017 and open 600 stores in the next three years. The challenge is to grow the company in three years, what originally took 300 years to achieve.
Application Process – What to Expect
You can apply at a location near you or apply online. It varies from location to location and how many individuals are being hired or interviewed. You could be hired on the spot after your interview or receive a call back after the interview process has been completed. Online, Forever 21 states that agents will call you back if you have any of the requirements that are listed on your online application/resume that corresponds to their specific needs.
Tips For the Interview
*This will differ from store-to-store but good overall advice:
Tips From An Expert:
You’ve landed an job interview! What next? Do your research on the company. There is a plethora of information on the Forever 21 site and the great worldwide web. When preparing for the interview, here are some things to keep in mind:
· Arrive on time and be prepared. You want to make a good first impression. Dress appropriately. No shorts, t-shirts or flip flops. Because it is an apparel store. You may want to foster the styles that they are selling, without going over the top
· Make a mental checklist before walking in. Do you have everything you need? Go over your research. Double check your resumes. Did you bring extras? Give yourself a pep talk and remind yourself that you have what it takes.
· Anticipate questions they might ask and how you would answer. They often ask, “Why Forever 21?” – be honest about why Forever 21 may resonate with you. Saying why you like to shop there may score more points than empty data. What makes you special? Be sure to have an answer and know your strengths.
· Introduce yourself to everyone in the room – make eye contact with each person. Bring copies of your resume and something to take notes with – and take notes. Take a deep breath and smile. You will want to keep your answers short and point out anything you might want to add that would apply to you and the job you are seeking. Try to look relaxed – even if you are feeling nervous. Depending on the store, they may interview you in groups, then break it down after they have you work together on a project. Don’t let that frazzle you! Find your moment to shine without steamrolling over the other candidates.
· Remember to ask questions! First, feel free to ask if they’ll be the ones conducting the interview. You can ask them what the job is like on any typical day, benefits, the team dynamic, suggestions about how to get ahead and what the best path would be. Always good info.
· Dig into the job you are applying for. Look up similar roles at other companies. Don’t be afraid to check out Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites.. Check out the articles that apply to Forever 21 or people who have worked there. Check out the Forever 21 Press Releases to get the latest information on the company and how it might apply to you.
WHY YOU WANT THE JOB
Health Insurance for employees that qualify
10% Employee discount in the store and online
First pick at new merchandise
Relaxed and stylish dress code
Lots of on the job training.
Forever 21 takes their business choices seriously. They boost to strive for a positive impact on their communities, stores, corporate family, vendor manufacturing facilities and the environment. It may sound like a tall order but Forever 21 is up to the challenge. Check out a few of the ways Forever 21 is making an impact:
All of Forever 21’s plastic and paper bags are 100% recyclable and reusable.
Forever 21 HQ employees hold an annual donation drive for the holiday season that is distributed to local community organizations.
Forever 21’s Headquarters in California’s solar power installation is the 3rd largest in the state.
They transport their products via sea vs. airfreight to help reduce carbon emissions.
The newest stores are using energy efficient lighting systems to cut down the energy usage.
They recycle all shipment boxes at the distribution center daily.
More than $11.5 million of merchandise was donated in 2016.
$100,000 was donated to DonorsChoose.org from 2016’s Holiday Give to Love, Love to Give collection.
2016 October BCA collection donated nearly $20,000 to keep-a-breast.org.
Other organizations they have contributed to include: National Missing Persons Foundation, On Your Feet, Inc. – Family Resource Center, Brownson House, Soles 4 Souls, Make-a-Wish, Feed Organization, The Humane Society and much more!
Official Site: http://www.forever21.com/
Forever 21 Application Online: https://forever21.tms.hrdepartment.com/cgi-bin/a/editprofile.cgi?jobid=&referralsource=&job_referer=&job_referreruid=&raf=
How to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI_1xVoYYHw
Questions Regarding Online Application: https://forever21.tms.hrdepartment.com/cgi-bin/a/faqs_ext-js.cgi