Operation Epic Fury Reaches Staggering Milestone as War Enters Week Four
The U.S. military campaign against Iran has reached a sobering new milestone. U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) confirmed on March 25 that American forces have now struck over 10,000 targets inside Iran since Operation Epic Fury launched on February 28 — a staggering tempo of destruction that underscores both the scale of the campaign and the deepening commitment of U.S. forces in the Middle East.
But the numbers tell a darker story on the American side too. CENTCOM revealed that 290 U.S. service members have been injured during the operation, with 13 killed in action — making this the deadliest American military engagement since the height of operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.
A-10 Warthogs Unleashed on Iran’s Navy — ‘Largest Naval Elimination Since World War II’
In one of the most dramatic revelations of the week, CENTCOM confirmed that U.S. Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt II attack aircraft — the legendary tank-killing “Warthogs” — have been deployed to strike Iranian naval vessels during Operation Epic Fury.
The results have been devastating. Over 140 Iranian vessels have been damaged or destroyed, according to CENTCOM, and more than 9,000 combat flights have been conducted as part of the campaign. White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt went even further, claiming that Iran’s missile capabilities have been reduced by approximately 90 percent and calling the naval campaign the “largest elimination of a navy since World War II.”
The deployment of A-10s — aircraft designed for close air support and anti-armor missions — against naval targets signals a creative and aggressive approach by U.S. commanders. The Warthog’s GAU-8 Avenger 30mm rotary cannon and ability to carry a wide array of munitions make it a lethal platform against small and medium naval vessels, particularly the fast attack boats that Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Navy relies on.
The Human Cost: 13 Americans Dead, Hundreds Wounded
While the Pentagon touts operational success, the casualty figures paint a grim picture. CENTCOM spokesperson Navy Captain Tim Hawkins told Fox News that while the “vast majority” of the 290 injuries have been minor — with more than 255 troops already returned to duty — the 13 deaths represent real and painful losses.
The deadliest single incident came on March 1, when an Iranian drone attack in Kuwait killed six U.S. service members. Another soldier died the same day from injuries sustained during an Iranian attack on troops in Saudi Arabia.
On March 12, six more Americans were killed when a KC-135 refueling aircraft crashed in western Iraq during a combat mission in support of the operation. The mid-air collision marked the single largest loss of American military life in the campaign.
These numbers are likely to grow. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has previously warned that “more casualties should be expected” as operations intensify.
Senate Blocks War Powers Challenge — Trump Gets Free Hand
In a critical vote on Capitol Hill, the U.S. Senate voted 53-47 to block a resolution that would have required President Trump to withdraw U.S. forces from hostilities unless Congress formally approved Operation Epic Fury — now in its fourth week.
The vote effectively gives the Trump administration a free hand to continue and escalate the campaign without explicit Congressional authorization. Critics argue the operation has far exceeded the scope of any existing Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF), while supporters contend the President has inherent authority to respond to Iranian aggression.
“The President is prepared to unleash hell if Iran does not come to the table,” a senior White House official told Newsweek, signaling that the administration sees no need to slow the operational tempo.
2,000 Paratroopers From the 82nd Airborne Headed to the Middle East
The Pentagon has ordered approximately 2,000 troops from the 82nd Airborne Division — America’s elite rapid-deployment force — to deploy to the Middle East, along with approximately 1,500 Marines. The move represents a significant escalation of the U.S. ground posture in the region.
The 82nd Airborne, based at Fort Liberty, North Carolina, is the U.S. military’s “Global Response Force” — the unit kept on constant alert for rapid deployment anywhere in the world. Their deployment signals that the Pentagon is preparing for contingencies beyond air and naval operations, potentially including ground operations to secure the Strait of Hormuz or respond to Iranian proxy attacks.
Iran’s Parliament speaker has warned that he believes Iran’s enemies are “preparing to occupy an Iranian island,” adding fuel to speculation that a ground component may be on the horizon.
Iran’s ‘Toll Booth’ Controls the Strait of Hormuz
In a development with massive implications for global energy markets, CNN reported that Iran’s IRGC has established a “de facto toll booth regime” controlling oil tanker transit through the Strait of Hormuz.
According to Lloyd’s List, the premier maritime intelligence service, “since March 13, a total of 26 vessel transits through the strait have followed a route pre-approved under an IRGC ‘toll booth’ system that requires ship operators to submit to a vetting scheme.”
This means Iran is effectively controlling who gets to move oil through the world’s most critical maritime chokepoint — a waterway through which roughly 20% of the world’s petroleum passes daily. The implications for oil prices, which have already surged since the war began, are enormous.
Iran Rejects Peace Plan, Issues Counter-Demands
Diplomacy, meanwhile, appears to be going nowhere fast. Iran has formally rejected the U.S. 15-point peace plan — delivered via Pakistan as an intermediary — and issued its own five conditions for ending the war:
- Immediate end to all aggression by the U.S. and Israel
- Concrete guarantees preventing the recurrence of war
- Payment of war reparations and compensation to Iran
- Recognition of Iranian sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz
- Comprehensive end to hostilities across all fronts, including against Hezbollah and other allied resistance groups
The U.S. plan reportedly included demands that Iran commit to never pursuing nuclear weapons and dismantle existing nuclear capabilities — conditions Tehran has dismissed as “maximalist and unreasonable.”
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi taunted Washington, saying the shift from demanding “unconditional surrender” to offering a peace plan amounts to “an acknowledgment of failure.” Iran’s military spokesperson went further: “Has the level of your internal conflicts reached the point where you are negotiating with yourselves?”
Despite the rhetoric, White House Press Secretary Leavitt insisted “talks continue, they are productive.” China’s foreign ministry expressed cautious optimism, saying it sees a “glimmer of hope” that both sides are signaling willingness to negotiate.
What Happens Next?
Four weeks into Operation Epic Fury, the situation is simultaneously escalating militarily and inching — however slowly — toward some form of diplomatic engagement. The key dynamics to watch:
The March 27 deadline: Israel has reportedly set an internal deadline to complete its 48-hour blitz against Iran’s arms industry, raising the possibility of even more intense strikes in the coming days.
Ground operations: The deployment of the 82nd Airborne and Marines suggests the U.S. is preparing for contingencies that go beyond air strikes. Any move to secure the Strait of Hormuz or establish a ground presence near Iranian territory would represent a massive escalation.
Global economic fallout: With Iran controlling transit through the Strait of Hormuz and oil prices surging, the economic pressure on both sides — and on the rest of the world — is intensifying by the day.
The diplomatic track: Despite mutual rejections, the fact that both sides are exchanging proposals (even through intermediaries) suggests neither wants this to spiral into a full-scale ground war. Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, and China are all positioning themselves as potential mediators.
One thing is clear: this conflict is far from over. And with American casualties mounting, Iran’s navy in ruins, and diplomatic efforts stalled, the coming days will be critical in determining whether this war escalates further — or finds an off-ramp before it’s too late.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates as new information becomes available.