You spend a third of your life in bed (or even more), so buying the right beddings is of critical importance. Sleep, as they say, is the best cure; if you sleep well, the quality of your life could improve. Flannel sheets are ideal for making beds feel warm, especially in the cold months. This post explores some of the best flannel sheets in the market so you can buy the right one.
- 1 How to Choose Flannel Sheets
- 2 Notable Flannel Sheets in the Market
- 2.1 1. Pinzon Signature Heavyweight Velvet Flannel Bed Sheet Set
- 2.2 2. Bare Home Flannel Sheet Set, Queen
- 2.3 3. L.L. Bean Ultrasoft Comfort Flannel Sheet Set
- 2.4 4. The Seasons Collection Home-grown Flannel Sheet Set
- 2.5 5. Malouf Portuguese Flannel Sheet Set
- 3 The Best Pick
How to Choose Flannel Sheets
How do you sort through the endless flannel sheets in the market to find the right bedmate? Some specific pointers and qualities might help you in the right direction. Plus, you can always choose a brand with a favorable return policy so you can send your sheets back if they fall short of expectations.
The first time I bought flannel sheets, they showed signs of pilling after the first wash. In just a week, their quality had rapidly deteriorated. I would wake up with lint in my hair, but the worst part is that the sheets felt rough and super thin.
I still had to find the best quality flannel sheets to survive the cold winter months. A little research and scouring through reviews is all it took to find high quality and durable flannel sheets.
Natural materials are the best
Flannel sheets are usually made of cotton, wool, or synthetic fibers. Each of these materials has its level of performance in terms of warmth, durability, and pill resistance. Wool is the premier flannel material, but it’s rare and hard to find. That leaves us with cotton.
Cotton is warm, breathable, and comfortable. However, read product specs to ensure that the fabric is resistant to pilling and shrinkage. Otherwise, you might end up with fluff all over your bedclothes like in my case. Worse, your nights might get too cold for beauty sleep.
Heavy flannel sheets are warmer and plusher
Weight is the litmus test for the quality of flannel sheets. It is measured in grams per square meter (gsm). If you need sheets that will retain warmth under freezing conditions, consider a gsm figure of over 150. Weighty flannel sheets also put up well under several washes, retaining their soft and cozy feel for long.
Look for double napped on product specs
Napping refers to deep brushing done on the flannel sheets to ensure that the fibers flow in one direction. It helps to achieve a soft and smooth texture.
Double brushed flannel sheets also excel at warmth preservation as the process improves the fibers’ insulation properties.
Opt for fine flannel sheets
You might think that the fluffier looking flannel sheets are more durable and comfortable. Nothing could further from the truth.
These kinds of sheets are prone to pilling and will not put up well under the few first washes. Flannel sheets with finer fabric are more durable and cozier.
Be sure to research about the cleaning process of the flannel sheet you have in mind. Preferably, opt for sheets that are easy to clean either by machine or hand washing.
Please note that for the first wash, most flannel sheets usually need to be washed in vinegar to prevent pilling and color fading.
Buy a brand with a sleep trial period
If you can’t make up your mind at once, you can find flannel sheets that have a trial and return policy. This way, you can test them to see if they deliver as per your expectations. If not, you can return the sheets before the trial period elapses (could be 30-60 days).
Notable Flannel Sheets in the Market
- Queen set includes flat sheet, fitted sheet, and 2 standard pillowcases
- 100 percent cotton velvet with double-napped finish on both sides for softness; machine washable and dryable
- Single-stitch 4-inch hem on flat sheet and pillowcases; elastic around fitted sheet for 18-inch mattresses; made in Portugal
Pinzon flannel set is made of pure cotton, a designed to deliver a comfortable sleep. The fibers have been combed to line up straight for a fluffier and firmer yarn, so the manufacturer says.
The flannel is double napped for a smooth velvety feel. A brushed flannel can be twice as thick as an unnapped one. That can be a good thing on a cold winter night.
The Pinzon flannel sheets have a 4-inch hem all around. This might help to seal the edges against wear.
One other unique quality here is the size. This flannel sheets measure 78 x 80 inches. This size can fit on mattresses of up to 17 inches thick.
The flannel set also comes with two pillowcases (20×40 inches) that might enable you to save on costs and achieve the right symmetry for your bed.
The Pinzon sheets are heavyweight, weighing 190 grams per square meter. You can, therefore, expect sheers that excel at preserving warmth on a cold night.
Beware though that you might not be able to get a long time of use with these sheets without experiencing pilling. Also, the sheet threading tends to come undone with regular washes.
Pinzon Signature Heavyweight Velvet Flannel Bed Sheet Set Pros & Cons
- They feel super soft
- They are thick and warm
- The flannel sheets can fit on big mattresses
- You might find a mismatch in sizes with these sheets
- Might not withstand several washes
- LUXURY FLANNEL SHEET SET: 3 Piece Twin XL Sheet Set includes 1 Twin XL Deep Pocket Fitted Sheet (39” x 80” x 15” Pocket), 1 Twin XL Flat Sheet (66” x 100”), 1 Standard Pillowcase (20” x...
- MAXIMUM COMFORT: Give a warm welcome to our softest, coziest, and most gentle sheet set yet. Made with extra soft and cozy cotton flannel for a superb feel that will have you waking up feeling...
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Our innovative signature flannel sheets are double brushed until it meets our high standard for softness. Lost lasting quality and supreme softness combine to give you the coziest set...
Just like the Pinzon sheets, the Bare Home flannel sheets are made of pure cotton. The package includes two-bed sheets and a standard pillowcase that could be ideal for when you are working with a shoestring budget.
The sizes are variable. For starters, the pocketed sheet measures 39″ x 80″ x 15″ Pocket. This design can be ideal if you tend to move a lot when you sleep. On top of that, the Bare Home flannel sheet set also includes a flat sheet that measures 66″ x 100″.
These sizes are considerable but beware that they might not fit appropriately on a 17-inch thick mattress, unlike the Pinzon sheets.
Just like the Pinzon sheets, what you have here is a doubled brushed set of flannel sheets. You could, therefore, expect a superior level of softness after a rough night out.
The manufacturer asserts that the sheets are made to be hypoallergenic to minimize discomfort for those with sensitive skin.
Maintenance is fairly easy. The Bare Home flannel sheets are machine washable. The fabric is supposedly made to be wrinkle-resistant, so they won’t need ironing.
Notwithstanding all these perks, remember that the fabric might get thinner and rougher after washing with a fabric softener. This set puts out a considerable amount of dryer lint after the first wash.
However, you might be pleased with the fact that the color doesn’t fade even after many washes.
Bare Home Flannel Sheet Set, Queen Pros & Cons
- Double Brushed fabric for extra smoothness
- Maintenance is easy
- Includes a pocketed sheet to protect the mattress from stains and moisture retention
- Made for persons of sensitive skin
- You might find that they aren’t that soft or thick as the manufacturer suggests
- They are not heavyweight; you might need an extra blanket on those cold nights
- KING 4 PIECE SET INCLUDES: 1 Flat Sheet 108” X 102”, 1 Fitted Sheet 78” X 80”, 2 King Pillowcases 20” X 40”
- HIGH QUALITY AND LUXURIOUS – Made out of the highest & finest quality fabrics available in the textile industry. “190 GSM 100% Cotton”. Sheets are ultra-soft and feels like velvet. These sheets...
- DEEP POCKET FITTED SHEETS – These sheets will accommodate mattresses up to 16” deep. Fitted sheets are elasticized all the way around with a super strong elastic which won’t give way no matter...
This flannel sheet is also made of pure cotton like the earlier ones in the review. The brushed cotton and substantial weight (about 150 grams) might enable you to sleep warm even on the coldest nights.
The fabric of the L.L. Bean flannel sheet set has supposedly been tested to contain zero harmful substances by OEKO-TEX standards.
This flannel sheet set includes one fitted sheet, two pillowcases and one flat sheet. The fabric in these sheets is potentially resistant to shrinking.
There are is some lint build up during washing that but that disappears with time. The colors hold up decently too. You might find that the fabric gets softer with every wash.
The fitted sheet has 15 inch deep pockets to accommodate thicker mattresses. The sheets come in different sizes for twin, full, queen, and king-sized beds.
The L.L. Bean flannel sheets come in beautiful patterns and solid colors. However, the primary concern here is pilling. Your flannel sheet might start to show signs of piling in less than two weeks of use.
L.L. Bean Ultrasoft Comfort Flannel Sheet Set Pros & Cons
- Soft and plush
- Custom sizes for all bed sizes
- The fitted sheet is ideal for those who roll over when they sleep
- They are breathable
- Prone to pilling after a few washes
- The manufacturer’s washing directions might not be accurate for flannel
The Seasons Collection is a 100% cotton flannel set of flannel sheets with a potential to warm up your bone-chilling nights. This set comes in King Sizes, which reduces the hassle of trying to find sheets that fit on a large bed.
It is a complete set of 2 sheets and a standard pillowcase. The fitted sheet could help protect your mattress and keep your bed less messy by the morning. On the other hand, the flat sheet might be what it takes to preserve the warmth of your blanket.
The fitted sheet can accommodate mattresses of about 16 inches thick, just like what you get with the Bare Home flannel.
How does it hold up after several washes?
With careful washing, this sheet might be able to remain soft for long. The fabric is also shrink-resistant, taking the stress out of your maintenance routine.
Beware though the Seasons Collection sheets might not be as thick as marketed. If you are looking for something extra warm and smooth, it would be better to choose a double brushed set like Pinzon.
The Seasons Collection Home-grown Flannel Sheet Set Pros & Cons
- Made for large beds
- The fitted sheet can accommodate thick mattresses
- The fabric puts up well to washes
- The leaves are shrink resistant
- Not as thick as flaunted – you might need something else to keep you warm at night
- The edges wear out fast
If you are looking to sleep warm without getting sweaty, you must know that your options are limited to breathable flannel sheets. Like the L.L. Bean Ultrasoft sheets, the Malouf flannel sheets are also made to be breathable.
The latter is made of 100 % cotton that’s double brushed on both sides. In light of that, you could expect smooth sheets that deliver the match needed cozy warmth.
Unlike its thin counterparts such as the L.L. Bean and the Seasons Collections, the Malouf flannel sheets are heavyweight, clocking 190 grams. You can, therefore, expect sufficient thickness so you can sleep through the night even when it’s freezing.
The Malouf flannel sheets are made for large beds. The queen size set includes a flat sheet of 90″ x 102″ a fitted sheet of 60″ x 80″ and two 20″ x 34″ pillowcases.
The fitted sheet is deep-pocketed to accommodate extra-thick mattresses, manufacturers say. You might, therefore, be able to sleep like a log without the bedsheet moving under you.
The other cool thing, I think, is the continuous elastic around the fitted sheet; it helps to improve its seam strength and delivers a secure fit.
You might also like the fluffy finish that is made to be pill-resistant. That means that the sheets might maintain their warmth-inducing quality for a long time.
Malouf Portuguese Flannel Sheet Set Pros & Cons
- Made for queen-sized beds
- Double brushed for smooth comfort
- Heavyweight and thick for colder regions
- The fitted sheet is deep-pocketed
- There is an elastic band around it for a flat even fit on bulky mattresses
- Fabric is made to be pill-resistant
- These sheets might not fit king-sized mattresses
- There are instances of color mismatching
The Best Pick
The most exemplary flannel sheet on the list turns out to be the Malouf Portuguese Flannel Sheet Set. Its breathable fabric makes it usable on both cold and hot nights. Then again, the cotton is double brushed to achieve a smooth finish for comfortable sleeping.
You might also like the fact that this is a thick sheet model, unlike all others reviewed. That implies that you could sleep through a cold night without turning on your thermostat—saves power.
The Malouf flannel sheets are made for large beds. The fitted sheet is deep-pocketed to accommodate thick mattresses. Also, the continuous elastic around the fitted sheet helps to achieve a secure fit around cushions.
These caveats, together with the fact that the fabric is pill-resistant, make Malouf flannel sheets a potential best buy in the market.
Last Updated on