25 Things That Seem Fun Until You Actually Do Them

Posted by , Updated on March 22, 2024

There are likely numerous activities that you believe would be immensely enjoyable. We all have a dreamer within us, to a certain degree. Now, think about how the perception of your dreams in your own mind might significantly differ from how they exist in reality.

For example, you may have always wanted to go and live in Switzerland. It’s an amazing and beautiful country. But when you actually go live, there you may not have realized that you need to learn another language, that the people aren’t as friendly as the English speaking country from which you are coming, that there are very strict ways of doing things (no flushing the toilet after 10pm), and that it will take some time to get acclimated to such a different culture and way of doing things.

This is what this list is about. It’s about the things that you glamorize in your head, but then in reality, they are nowhere near what you had expected. Of course, as usual, some of these will just be for fun (as in they are not serious, so don’t get mad). These are 25 things that seem fun until you actually do them!

Featured Image: publicdomainpictures.net


Roller Coasters

Roller CoastersImage: pixabay, Source: reddit

Don’t get us wrong, the 60 second ride is fun. It’s the 2 hour wait that kills it.


Becoming an airline pilot

Becoming an airline pilotImage: pixabay, Source: reddit

To all the non-pilots out there, don’t become a pilot. Some regional co-pilots barely make minimum wage, even with the big airlines.


Being a superstar

Being a superstarImage: pixabay, Source: thoughtcatalog

Have you ever noticed how superstars seem to be even more dissatisfied with their lives than normal people? That’s because they are. The grass is greener…


Playing violin

Playing violinImage: pixabay, Source: reddit

Have you ever been to a beginners’ violin recital? The best part is the ending.


Sleeping on the top bunk

Sleeping on the top bunkImage: pixabay, Source: thoughtcatalog

You will learn to hate that ladder.


Going to Taco Bell

Going to Taco BellSource: 9gag

Who doesn’t love tacos? The answer to that is nobody. Who doesn’t regret eating Taco Bell tacos almost immediately after eating them? The answer to that is also nobody.


Eating dog bones

Eating dog bonesImage: pixabay, Source: 9gag

Just because your dog likes them doesn’t mean that you will. Have you ever seen your dog eat its own puke?


Fighting on top of moving trains

Fighting on top of moving trainsImage: pixabay, Source: reddit

This is nowhere near as cool in real life. First of all, nobody can see you. Second of all, you can’t see anybody else.


Winning the lottery

Winning the lotteryImage: pixabay, Source: 9gag

And then your friends find out about it…


Joining the Army

Joining the ArmyImage: pixabay, Source: thoughtcatalog

The commercials make it seem like your job is 95% action and 5% of the other stuff. Wrong. Your job is 95% of the other stuff and only 5% action. If that.



DietsImage: pixabay, Source: reddit

Ok, you’d probably have to be weird to think these are fun, but just in case you thought that, actually being on the diet will clear up any of your prior misconceptions.


Moving to Hawaii

Moving to HawaiiImage: pixabay, Source: reddit

It’s called rock fever, and you can get it pretty quickly.


Mowing the lawn

Mowing the lawnImage: wikipedia, Source: 9gag

When you’re little, you can’t wait to be a man and start mowing. When you’re a man, you just wish you were little again.



CPRImage: wikipedia, Source: reddit

Doing compressions is no where near as easy or “heroic” as TV makes it seem. Just wait until the ribs start breaking.


Being in a gang

Being in a gangImage: pixabay, Source: reddit

You basically end up living a paranoid and violent life so that you can be accepted by people who pretend to care about you.


Setting your favorite song as your alarm in the morning

Setting your favorite song as your alarm in the morningImage: pixabay, Source: reddit

You will hate that song.


Counting cards

Counting cardsImage: pixabay, Source: reddit

It’s not nearly as cool in real life as they make it seem in the movies.


Having nothing to do

Having nothing to doImage: pixabay, Source: reddit

You either have lots of time and no money, or lots of money and no time.



SmokingImage: pixabay, Source: 9gag

This is probably the main reason anybody ever started smoking (it looked fun). It’s also the main reason anybody ever tried to quit.


Staying up all night to reset your sleep schedule

Staying up all night to reset your sleep scheduleImage: pixabay, Source: thoughtcatalog

For some reason, in spite of the impeccable logic, this never works.


Growing up

Growing upImage: pixabay, Source: thoughtcatalog

It’s a trap.


Going to Times Square for New Year

Going to Times Square for New YearImage: pixabay, Source: reddit

Every other major city in the world has crazy fireworks and unrelenting chaos. In New York, you watch a ball drop and then go home.



BracesImage: pixabay, Source: thoughtcatalog

They tricked you into wanting them with all their fancy colors. But now you know better. Braces were not fun. They looked fun…but they were not.


Seeing the sights

Seeing the sightsImage: pixabay, Source: 9gag

…so that you can take pictures that you will never look at. Meeting people and making friends is always more memorable.


Buying Beats by Dre

Buying Beats by DreImage: pixabay, Source: reddit

They look really cool for sure, but you’re definitely going to regret spending $300 for an $80 pair of headphones.