25 Deadliest Poisons Known To Mankind

The Swiss physician and alchemist Paracelsus famously said, “All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison,” and he’s right. Even water in too large a quantity will kill you. However, some things require such a small amount to cause death – sometimes just a drop falling on a fully gloved hand – that they’re in a class all on their own. From flowers to heavy metals, from man made gases to venom, here are 25 Deadliest Poisons Known To Mankind. NOTE: This list is not ranked.

Subscribe to List25


The most deadly tree in all of North America grows in Florida. Because where else would it grow, honestly? The manchineel or beach apple tree has small green fruits that look like, well apples, and they are supposedly sweet. Don't eat them. Don't touch this tree. Don't sit near it, or under it, and pray you're never standing downwind of it. The sap will make your skin blister upon contact, and if it gets in your eyes, you might be blinded. The sap is in the leaves and bark, so don't touch those either. It is supposedly what killed Ponce de Leon. Lame.

manchineel-appleSource: http://www.atlasobscura.com

Fluorine is a pale yellow gas that is highly poisonous, corrosive, and will react with nearly anything. It takes a concentration of 0.000025% for fluorine to become lethal. It blinds and suffocates you, like mustard gas but oh, so much worse.

FluorineSource: https://www.planetdeadly.com

Compound 1080, also known as Sodium fluoroacetate, is used as a pesticide. It's also found naturally in a few plant species in Africa, Brazil, and Australia. The scary part of this odorless and tasteless deadly poison is that there is no known antidote. Strangely, bodies of those who died from ingesting this poison remain poisonous for up to a year. 

1080PoisonWarning_gobeirneSource: articles.mercola.com

The most dangerous man-made poison is called Dioxin, and it only takes 50 micrograms to be lethal to an adult human being. It's the third most toxic poison known to science, 60 times more toxic than cyanide.

Dioxin-3D-ballsSource: http://www.pravdareport.com

Dimethylmercury (a neurotoxin) is terrifying because it can penetrate most standard protection equipment - like thick latex gloves. Which is exactly what happened to a chemist named Karen Wetterhahn in 1996. She got a single drop of the colorless liquid on her gloved hand, and that was it. Symptoms started showing up FOUR MONTHS later, and in six months, she was dead.

KarenWetterhahnSource: http://zidbits.com/2011/04/whats-the-most-lethal-poison/ & http://www.acsh.org/news/2016/06/06/two-drops-of-death-dimethylmercury

SEE ALSO: 25 Biggest Corporate Scandals Ever »

NOW WATCH: 25 Amazing Facts You Didn't Know About Animals

Subscribe to List25

What do you think?

0 points
Upvote Downvote
25 Super Cool Facts About Jupiter

25 Super Cool Facts About Jupiter

25 Funniest Panda GIFs To Make Your Day Cuter

25 Funniest Panda GIFs To Make Your Day Cuter