SiteGround is a reputable web host that offers everything you need to build and manage websites, including 1-click installers for WordPress, daily data backups, and 24/7 support by phone, live chat, or ticket.
Not sure whether SiteGround hosting is as good as it sounds?
In our SiteGround review, we’ve put their promises to the test. We’ll take a look at the most important factors:
- Reliability– Do they keep their promises on uptime guarantee? Will your website always be available online?
- Speed– Will hosting your site on SiteGround speed up your loading time?
- Features– Do they offer the right features you’ll need to build and grow your site?
- Pricing– Are their plans affordable, and do they have deals to save you money?
No need to skip to the end – here’s the bottom line: In our tests, SiteGround did live up to its promise of providing reliable hosting that’s lightning fast. Plus, they offer plenty of features and some of the best customer support in the industry.
That’s why we’ve chosen SiteGround as one of our top 5 web hosting companies.
SiteGround Coupon Code
Before we get started with our detailed review, we’ve got a great deal to share with you.
List25 readers get an exclusive 60% off discount with our SiteGround coupon code.
You can give SiteGround a try at no risk, since they have a 30 day money back guarantee. In case you’re not happy with their hosting, you can cancel your account within 30 days and get a full refund of your hosting fees.
Just click on this link to purchase, and the 60% off discount will be automatically applied.
Or you can read on to find out all the details of our SiteGround review.
SiteGround Web Hosting Pros and Cons
SiteGround may not be an ideal hosting solution for everyone.
At first, it seems like every web hosting solution out there offers the same set of features. But if you carefully analyze the details, you’ll find that every hosting company has its pros and cons.
Before you choose a plan, take a look at the pros and cons in our SiteGround review.
Below are a few things we like about SiteGround hosting.
- Highly reliable: SiteGround makes lots of promises regarding speed and uptime. We found SiteGround to have near 100% uptime and fast loading times.
- Free daily backup: Most hosting companies offer daily backup as an addon feature that costs you extra. But it comes as a standard feature with every SiteGround hosting account.
- Easy eCommerce Installs: Installing shopping carts like Magento and PrestaShop have never been easier. With one-click installs, you can quickly roll out your online store without any difficulty.
- Free Cloudflare CDN: All of the SiteGround hosting plans include Cloudflare CDN for free. A CDN is a network of multiple servers distributed throughout the world to boost page speed and performance. The content delivers to your site visitors based on their geographic locations through a server that is closest to them.
- Free website transfer: They also offer a free website transfer, so if you’re running a website already and are looking to switch to a fast and reliable host known for their great customer service, SiteGround may be a good fit.
Here are a few downsides of SiteGround that may make you think twice about choosing them for hosting your site.
- Setup fee for monthly billing: If you select the month-to-month billing option, there’s a $14.95 setup fee. But if you sign up for a longer billing period, you’ll get a bigger discount and no setup fee. Since they offer a 30 day money back guarantee anyway, it’s a good idea to choose a longer billing period when you sign up.
- Limited storage space: Unlike other web hosts, SiteGround offers limited storage space. But for most newbie website owners, that storage space will be more than enough.
SiteGround’s Web Hosting Speed Test Results
Speed is one of the most important things you should consider when choosing a web host for your site.
Every second counts when it comes to website speed.
In fact, a single second delay can cause loss in conversions by 7%, 11% fewer page views and 16% decrease in customer satisfaction.
While you can find tons of website speed optimization tips on the web, none of them is going to help you unless you’re on a fast web host.
In our SiteGround web hosting review, we created a test site to see how fast SiteGround really is.
Our test site was set up using WordPress, using the default Twenty Seventeen theme and dummy content for theme development, including images.
According to Pingdom’s website speed test, our test site loads in just under three-fourth of a second for a server in Dallas, Texas. That means our site is faster than 95% of tested sites.
We also tested how our SiteGround hosting server performs during peak load time.
To test the performance, we used a tool, LoadImpact, which sent some virtual (VUs) users to our site. They gradually built up to 100 visitors at a time to see how the server would handle it.
You can see the result in the chart below.
The blue line in the graph represents (VUs active) the number of virtual users on our site at a time. The green line shows a rough estimate of how much time, it would take to load a page for each user.
Unlike most other hosts we tested, SiteGround performs almost consistently during the test. However, you can see that when there were over 50 virtual users at a time, the site slightly slows down. However, within a few minutes, it returns to the normal stage even though the number of virtual users was growing.
A website hosted on a shared hosting account usually slow down during the peak load time. That’s because you’re sharing the server resources with other sites as well that are hosted on the same server. While shared hosting could be the best choice when you’re starting a new website, as you grow, you can upgrade your hosting to VPS hosting or even dedicated server hosting. (We’ll go over these types of hosting plans in detail below.)
Another important thing to be noted is that our site never crashed during the test. Below you can see a record of our SiteGround web hosting uptime during the speed tests:
SiteGround Server Response Time
You might know that the content of your site will also have a significant impact on your page loading time. For example, if you use tons of images on your site, it can significantly reduce the page loading time.
That’s why we decided to test SiteGround with a service called Bitcatcha, too. Bitcatcha ignores the content on the page, which can give inaccurate results, and only tests the response time of your web hosting server.
Bitcatcha averages the loading speed from eight different global locations: New York, LA, London, Brazil, India, Singapore, Japan and Australia. The speed for each location is measured three separate times, and then the results are averaged.
Unlike our previous test that lets you test the page speed from a specific location, this test lets you analyze the web host’s speed for your visitors around the world.
Take a look at the results in the screenshot below.
As you can see, SiteGround is a great choice if your target audience is mostly located in the United States. As you can see, the web hosting server responded in a fraction of a second in the U.S.
For all locations except Japan, the server responded in less than a second.
SiteGround Hosting Plans and Their Features
Now let’s take a peek at the different hosting services that SiteGround offers.
While their shared hosting would be the right choice for you if you’re just starting out, as you grow you can upgrade your hosting account to a higher plan with more robust features.
- Shared hosting: This is the best plan for beginner website owners with low traffic volume. With shared hosting, your website will be sharing resources with other websites hosted on the same server.
- WordPress hosting: This plan is similar to shared hosting except that it is optimized for running WordPress sites. WordPress is the most popular website building tool.
- Cloud hosting: If your website consistently exhausts resources of a shared hosting server, cloud hosting is the best choice for you. This is a perfect choice for growing enterprise websites and high-traffic blogs.
- Dedicated servers: You can get a dedicated hosting server if you don’t want to share resources with other websites. With dedicated hosting, you get a whole server for hosting your sites. It also comes with great responsibility because you’ve to maintain it yourselves.
- Enterprise hosting: You can get enterprise hosting if you want a custom-made hosting plan for your needs? You’ll have to get in touch with SiteGround to see what they can do for you with this plan.
SiteGround Shared Hosting
Their shared hosting plan is the best bet for you if you’re just starting out with your first website. Here are the shared hosting plans they have available:
- Startup: The Startup plan allows you to host only one website. It gives you 10 GB disk space and is suitable for hosting a website having 10,000 monthly visitors. You’ll also get all essential features like free website builder, free daily backup, free Cloudflare CDN and much more.
- GrowBig: The GrowBig plan lets you host unlimited websites. It gives you 20 GB disk space and is suitable for hosting websites having 25,000 monthly visitors. You’ll get all the features of the Startup plan, plus you’ll get premium features like Super Cacher, 1-year free wildcard SSL, and more.
- GoGeek: With GoGeek, you can host multiple websites with 30 GB disk space. It is suitable for hosting websites having 100,000 monthly visitors. In addition to all GrowBig’s features, you’ll get access to more advanced features like one-click git repo creation, WordPress and Joomla staging, and more.
Support and Customer Service
SiteGround has a reputation for providing top-notch customer support that’s fast and helpful.
SiteGround has a well-documented knowledge base that walks you through every aspect of using their hosting account.
They also show their estimated response time in their support section, so customers can set a clear expectation on when they’ll receive a response after reaching out. They offer 24/7 blazing fast support, and offer support through phone, chat and tickets.
SiteGround also offers a free website transfer upon request. In order to apply for the free transfer of your site to SiteGround, you just need to post a ticket. This offer is applicable for transferring a single website or transferring a complete cPanel account migration.
Bottom Line: Is SiteGround Right for You?
Now that you’ve finished reading our full SiteGround review, you’re probably wondering, is SiteGround the right web host for you?
SiteGround is an ideal host for those who need a website with reliable uptime and excellent customer service.
Best of all, every SiteGround hosting plans include Cloudflare CDN for free. It helps you to secure your site by filtering out malicious traffic, leading to boosting the performance of your site.
They are well-known for their fast response times to their inquiries, and their friendly and knowledgeable support staff. If you’re just getting started, you can sign up for a shared hosting plan and kick start your first website with fast hosting.
Ready to get started with SiteGround? Click here to choose your hosting plan today.
List25 readers get an exclusive 60% discount on shared hosting with our SiteGround coupon code.
All you have to do is click on this link to purchase. The discount will be auto-applied.