Started in 1996, Bluehost is one of the oldest and most reliable web hosting companies. With Bluehost, you don’t have to worry about downtime and slow loading time.
Their knowledgeable, friendly support team is available 24/7 via phone and live chat to resolve your hosting related issues quickly.
In our Bluehost review, we’ve put their promises to the test. We’ll take a look at:
- Reliability: Will your website be always available online without any uptime issue?
- Speed: What about the page speed? How fast will your website load with Bluehost?
- Features: Do they offer the right features for your needs?
- Pricing: How much are their plans? Do they offer any deals to save you money?
Here’s the bottom line: In our review of Bluehost, we found them to have fast, reliable hosting and great customer service.
We’ve chosen Bluehost as one of our top 5 recommended web hosting companies.
In this Bluehost review, we’ll show you their features, hosting plans and more, so you can decide if it is the best hosting solution for your needs.
Bluehost Coupon Code
Before we dive in to our review, we have a great deal to share with you.
We’ve negotiated an exclusive Bluehost deal for List25 fans.
List25 readers get over 65% off hosting with our Bluehost coupon code.
And just in case you find their hosting isn’t for you, Bluehost offers a 30 day money back guarantee. You can cancel your account within 30 days of signing up and get a full refund of all your hosting fees.
All you have to do is click on this link to purchase. Your discount will be automatically applied.
Not ready to get started yet? Read on to find out more about Bluehost.
Bluehost Pros and Cons
Not every web hosting company is the same; each has its unique pros and cons. After testing out their hosting plans, here’s what we like and dislike about Bluehost hosting.
Take a look at what makes Bluehost stand out from other hosts.
- Affordable: Their hosting plans are very reasonable for users who are just starting out.
- Reliable: They power over 2 million websites worldwide and are reliable with minimal downtime.
- No hidden fees: They don’t set any hidden fee when signing up or renewing your account.
- Free Domain: You get a free domain for a year when you sign up with Bluehost.
Before you jump in to go with Bluehost for hosting your site, take a look at a few downsides.
- No ticket based support: They do not offer ticket based support, which can be a hassle to users who need to resolve advanced issues that may take longer to resolve.
- Aggressive upselling: Bluehost gives you a wide range of options to kick start your first website. However, chances are, some users might feel that they aggressively sell addons with their hosting plans.
- High domain renewal price: Yes, they offer a free domain but the domain renewal price is a bit higher when comparing it with the renewal price of other domain name registrars. That means getting a free domain is not a good deal in the long run.
Bluehost Speed Test Results
Speed is one of the most important factors you should consider when choosing a web hosting for your site.
In fact, studies show that if your site is delayed by a second, it can cause 7% decrease in conversion rate, and just a 3-second delay can cause almost half of your visitors to abandon your site.
If you’re looking to speed up your site, the first thing you should do is to choose a fast web hosting.
In our Bluehost review, we created a test site to see how fast Bluehost really is.
Our test site was set up using WordPress, using the default Twenty Seventeen theme and dummy content for theme development, including images.
According to Pingdom’s website speed test, our test site loads in less than two seconds for a server in Dallas, Texas. That’s faster than 85% of all tested sites.
We also wanted to test the performance of our Bluehost server to see if it can survive a traffic surge. For this, we used a testing tool Load Impact, and sent some virtual users (VU) to our site. They gradually built up to 100 visitors at a time to see how the server would handle it.
In the graph below, you can see blue (VUs active) and green lines (VU load time) which represent the number of hosting visitors sent to the testing site and the time it would take to load the web page for each user respectively.
You can see that the Bluehost server performed without any trouble regardless of the number of visitors present on the site.
This shows that if you’re looking for a high performing hosting server, Bluehost server might be a good fit.
During our speed test, no downtime has been recorded. For a detailed look at the server response time, you can see the screenshot below.
Bluehost Server Response Time
For most websites, images often account for most of the downloadable bytes. That means if you host too many images on your site, likely your website will take a long time to load.
We wanted to test the response time of our server by ignoring the content of the page, which can often give inaccurate results depending on the content.
To conduct a more accurate test, we used another testing tool known as Bitcatcha.
Bitcatcha works quite differently from Pingdom, the other testing tool we used already.
Bitcatcha helps you to easily conduct a server response time around the globe by ignoring the content of the site, which can likely give you an inaccurate result.
Bitcatcha averages the loading speed from eight different global locations: New York, LA, London, Brazil, India, Singapore, Japan and Australia. The speed for each location is measured three separate times, and then the results are averaged.
This gives a broader overview of the web host’s speed for your visitors around the world.
You can find that our Bluehost test site was rated C by Bitcatcha.
In the United States, the web hosting server responded in just a fraction of a second.
In all other locations, the response time was pretty high but still responded in a second.
That means if your target audience is in the United States, Bluehost could be a great choice for you.
If your target audience is outside the United States, you can get a faster site by choosing a local server location instead of using a server located in the US.
Bluehost Hosting Plans and Features
Bluehost lets you choose from a wide range of hosting plans including shared hosting, VPS, dedicated server, cloud hosting, WooCommerce hosting, WordPress hosting, etc.
Here are the hosting plans offered by Bluehost.
- Shared hosting: Shared hosting is a perfect option for newbie websites with low traffic volume. In a shared hosting server, resources are shared with the other websites hosted on it.
- Cloud hosting: It is a much more reliable hosting plan than a shared hosting plan. It allows you to utilize multiple servers. If your server experienced any hardware issue or huge traffic surge, the automatic failover process will switch you to another hosting server.
- WordPress hosting: WordPress is the most popular tool for creating blogs and websites. WordPress hosting is optimized specifically for running WordPress websites. It can also protect your website from attacks targeted specifically at WordPress sites.
- WooCommerce hosting: WooCommerce is the most popular shopping cart plugin for WordPress that lets you build an ecommerce store easily. WooCommerce hosting offers you all the essential features to kick start your ecommerce store with ease.
- VPS (Virtual Private Server) hosting: If you need a hosting plan that is better than the shared hosting, VPS could be the best choice for you. Although you’ll be still sharing resources with other sites hosted on it, you get more power and flexibility with VPS hosting.
- Dedicated server hosting: Rent a physical server solely to host your website. With a dedicate server, you won’t be sharing resources with any other sites. However, you’ll have to maintain your server by yourselves.
All of the Bluehost hosting plans give you tons of free website scripts to kick start your first website. You can easily set up your first website with any open source tool such as WordPress, Joomla and Drupal with one-click installers.
Alternatively, you can make use of their free drag and drop site builder, Weebly.
Weebly comes as a standard feature with every Bluehost hosting account. It helps you to easily populate your website with content by simply dragging and dropping various desired elements.
Shared Hosting Plans- Perfect for Beginners
We’ve already looked at different hosting plans offered by Bluehost.
If you’re just getting started and are looking to get your website up and running easily you may choose one of their shared hosting plans.
Take a look at their shared hosting plans below.
- Basic: The Basic plan allows you to host only one website. It gives you a free SSL certificate, 5 email accounts and email storage of 100 MB per email account. You’ll need to make a payment of $2.95 per month for the first term. When you renew the account, you’ll have to pay $7.99 per month.
- Plus: The Plus plan allows you to host unlimited websites with unmetered web space. You’ll also get unlimited email accounts with unlimited email storage. The price for the first term starts from $5.45 per month. When you renew the account, you’ll have to pay $10.99 per month.
- Prime: With the Prime plan, you get every feature that comes with the Plus plan. In addition, you’ll get over $80/year in extras including Domain Privacy and SiteBackup Pro. Prime also has the same first term price of Plus, $5.45 per month. When renewing, you’ll have to pay $14.99 per month.
If you’re just getting started, you can choose one of their shared hosting plans. You can always upgrade your hosting account as you grow.
Support and Customer Service
Bluehost maintains a vast knowledge base consisting of articles, guides and how-tos, so you can easily find solutions to your pertinent questions regarding your web hosting account.
Their technical support team is available 24/7. They also have an in-house team of WordPress experts who can resolve any WordPress related inquiries.
Bluehost offers support through phone or live chat.
The big downside is that recently they’ve made the decision to discontinue ticket support in an effort to focus more on providing personal and direct support through phone or chat. This can be frustrating to users with more advanced issues that may take a bit longer to resolve.
Is Bluehost Right for You?
After reading the complete Bluehost review, you might be wondering, is Bluehost right for you?
Bluehost is often classified as the #1 hosting company for small business websites. It gives you tons of different options to set up your first website with ease.
They’re also a top recommended host by WordPress.org, so it’s a great choice if you use WordPress.
Best of all, Bluehost offers different pricing options that perfectly fit any budget.
If you’re just getting started, you can choose any of their shared hosting plans. As you grow, you can upgrade your account by choosing an appropriate choice from their plenty of hosting options.
Ready to get started with Bluehost? Click here to select your Bluehost plan today.
List25 readers get over 65% off, plus a free domain with our Bluehost coupon code.
All you have to do is click on this link to purchase. The discount will be auto-applied.